3 questions all our students ask

Lots of backpackers ask for a student visa when their working holiday visa expire, so they can stay in Oz a bit longer. Here are the 3 questions that they all ask before they get their visa.

1/ Are there any working restrictions?

Yes, as a student you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight. However you can work as much as you want when during holidays. You can also work for more than 6 months for the same company.


2/ Do I have to leave the country to get my student visa?

No, you can apply for a student visa while being in Australia, except if you are holding one of these visas:

  • Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)
  • Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream
  • Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – primary visa holder only. This means a family member of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a Student visa in Australia.
  • Transit visa (subclass 771)
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the Sponsored Family stream or in the Approved Destination Status stream


3/ What is OSHC?

OSHC stands for Overseas Student Health Cover. It is compulsory except if you are :

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

If you need any advice about the student visa in Australia, contact Francaustralia!